Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Planning a scooter trip around Taiwan 台灣

Since arriving in Taiwan I wanted to go on a scooter trip around the island. As I wasn't going home for the summer vacation, and had no classes, I decided it was time for my trip. The last weekend before the summer vacation I started planning my trip. It was easy deciding where to go. I drew a map of Taiwan, and marked the major cities on it. I decided to make it a 13 day trip, going from Chiayi (嘉義)to Taichung City (台中市), then on to Hsinchu City (新竹市). From Hsinchu I would go to Taipei (台北), and then to Yilan (宜蘭). From Yilan I would go to Hualien City (花蓮市), where I planned to spend three days. Then I'd travel through the East Rift Valley or Hua-Tung Valley (花東縱谷) to Taitung (台東), spend a day or two there, and then ride to Kaohsiung City (高雄市), and from there back to Chiayi City (嘉義市).
Finding accomodation and making reservations was more difficult, and took a long time. It's easy to find hostels and cheap hotels in the cities. I had a limited budget, and finding affordable accomodation in smaller towns can be a problem if you can't speak or read Chinese. With Jay's help everything was sorted out, deposits paid, and all the info printed. I had maps, brochures and the Lonely Planet guide ready for my trip.
Next time I'll start telling you about the trip, and all the ups and downs of travelling alone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment